British Trombone Society
Composers Competition 2011/ 2012
Issued 16th July 2011
The British Trombone Society is delighted to announce its 2011 / 2012 composer's competition, which aims to encourage composers throughout the UK and abroad to write for the trombone. The competition is open to both BTS and Non-BTS members.
Composers are invited to write music for the trombone in one of six categories:
- 1) Unaccompanied trombone
- 2) Trombone and piano (a: concerto b: concert item)
- 3) Trombone and brass band (a: concerto b: concert item)
- 4) Trombone and a: rhythm section or b: big band
- 5) Trombone quartet for junior players (under 16 years)
- 6) Trombone quartet for senior players
All submissions must be received by 1st December 2011 and will be judged by a team of expert trombone players and composers including Professor Philip Wilby, Dan Jenkins, Andrea Price and Brett Baker.
No submission should be more than 15 minutes in duration.
Submissions can be made in the form of pdfs and an mp3 file, or as a Sibelius file (version 5 or lower) by email to:
A covering letter clearly stating the category the piece is being entered for should also be included.
Alternatively, submissions can be sent by post. Entries must comprise of:
- 1. Three copies of the score and parts
- 2. A covering letter stating the category it is being entered for and the composers contact details.
- 3. The scores must be bound and legible.
Compositions should be sent to:
British Trombone Society composer's competition
35 Yew Tree Drive, Barnton, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4NH
Winners will be announced at the BTS Day in Huddersfield on 29th January 2012, on the BTS website and in the BTS Magazine Spring 2012.
The Judges decisions will be final.
As part of this prestigious competition, the winner of each section will have the opportunity for the following:
- the publication of the composers score by a music publisher affiliated with the BTS
- performances of the work at a major BTS event in 2012 and the Black Dyke Band Festival on 20th May 2012
- an opportunity for the piece to be recorded at a BTS event by leading UK trombone players
Entry to the competition is free to BTS members and ?30.00 to non-members. Payment is by cheque only made out to The British Trombone Society. Those compositions sent electronically that are not from BTS members must also send a cheque to the address above to be considered for entry. Members should clearly state their BTS membership number in the covering letter to the competition postal address above.
The piece must be an original work (arrangements are at the discretion of the judges). The piece should not have been performed prior to 1st January 2009 but can have been written previously to 1st January 2009.
Any standard of composition will be considered though the pieces are expected to be from grade 8 to diploma level, apart from the junior quartet category which should be around the grade 5-8 level.
A work submitted to previous BTS composers' competitions will not be accepted.
There are no restrictions on composer's age or nationality.
The competition is a superb opportunity for composers, however experienced, and provides a showcase for the best new music for trombonists.