The BASBWE London Festival - 24th March 2012
Call for New Works
UK resident composers of any age and background are asked to submit previously unperformed pieces up to 6 minutes long for Wind Orchestra.
Shortlisted works will be rehearsed by participant bands of BASBWE London Festival 2012 and performed during the festival.
The successful composers are to be partnered with their own band for the rehearsal period leading up to the premiere thus making this a truly collaborative and learning project
The winning composer will receive ?100 from Environ Music, a ?500 honorarium from BASBWE to produce a new work for another BASBWE Festival and the piece will be considered for publication by Brasswind Publications.
The judging panel - Peter Meechan, Jeffery Wilson, Spencer Down and a publisher representative.
Deadline for submission of scores 12pm Monday 16th January 2012. by email to:-
1. The competition is open to all UK resident composers.
2. The piece entered must be a previously unperformed piece.
3. Instrumentation must be for wind/concert band as outlined below:
2 Flutes (piccolo optional) 2 Oboe (cor anglais optional), 2 Bassoon, 3 Clarinets Bb, Bass Clarinet, 2 Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, 4 Trumpets Bb, 4 Horns in F, 3 Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, Percussion (3 players)
4. Maximum duration is 6 minutes.
5. The judges will be Peter Meechan, Jeffery Wilson, Spencer Down and a representative from Brasswind Publications.
6. Entries should be submitted via email to:
Format: sibelius or PDF files accompanied by a midi file recording. No instrumental parts are required at this stage, though the finalists will be asked to produce parts.
7. Entries must be received by 12pm Monday 16th January, 2012.
8. A minimum of 4 finalists will be selected for performance at the BASBWE London Festival 2012. The composers of the selected pieces will be partnered with performing bands and will have the opportunity to attend rehearsals and refine their music before the premiere performance at the festival. The winning composition will be announced at the Gala Concert of BASBWE London Festival 2012.
9. The winning composer will receive a ?100 award from Environ Music, a ?500 honararium from BASBWE on production of a new work for another BASBWE Festival and the piece will be considered for publication by Brasswind Publications.
10. The decision of the judges will be final.